You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Please enable scripts and reload this page.
Turn on more accessible mode
Turn off more accessible mode
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Turn off Animations
Turn on Animations
Use SHIFT+ENTER to open the menu (new window).
To navigate through the Ribbon, use standard browser navigation keys. To skip between groups, use Ctrl+LEFT or Ctrl+RIGHT. To jump to the first Ribbon tab use Ctrl+[. To jump to the last selected command use Ctrl+]. To activate a command, use Enter.
Tab 1 of 3.
List Tools group. Tab 1 of 2.
List Tools group. Tab 2 of 2.
NP Research Library
NP Info Sources
Museums with significant collections of NP information.
NP Monad Story
J.M. Fredrickson Collection
"The Story of the Monad" was available to passengers of the Northern Pacific's trains. Is was published in Oct. 1950 before the North Coast Limited's schedule was shortened to 39 hours the Vista-Domes were put in service and Raymond Loewy redesigned the train.
NP Corporate Record Indexes
Minnesota Historical Society
The indexes to the Northern Pacific Railway Corporate Records stored at the Minnesota Historical Society's archive in St. Paul. You can search these indexes using this site's word and column search functions to find the box numbers that contain information you want to review when you visit St. Paul. Indexes formated for this site by the NPRHA.
Northern Pacific Railway Corporate Records
Minnesota Historical Society
Corporate records of the St. Paul-based Northern Pacific, its predecessors, and its subsidiaries and affiliates, documenting their operations across the northern tier of western states for more than one hundred years, until the 1970 merger that formed the Burlington Northern. Records include minutes, reports, correspondence and subject files, financial and accounting records, photographs, engineering drawings, land records, engineering and valuation records, advertising literature, timetables, publications, and many other materials documenting the principal staff and operating departments.
The NP in North Dakota History
North Dakota History abstracts of articles containing NP information compiled from magazine copies in the NP Archives at JSRH. The magazine is published by the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
The 7th Sub
Bill & Jan Taylor
"The 7th Sub" accesses the work of Bill and Jan Taylor. It includes their Montana history books detailing the Northern Pacific branchline operations: "The Butte Short Line," "Rails to Gold and Silver" and "Mullan Pass." These books are available from "The 7th Sub" site or from the NPRHA Company Store.
Western Semaphores Along the NP
The excellent photographs of the semaphores on this website span a period of 25 years. From Brian's first photos east of Auburn, WA in early 1980 to the last five between Paradise and St Regis, MT which will be gone by the end of 2005. Even through there is a lot of green paint in the photos, they show the NP semaphores and right-of-way in all its splender.
Northern Pacific Archives
John Phillips III
A listing of many sources of information about the Northern Pacitic Railway
Northern Pacific Railway Museum
Yakima Valley Rail and Steam Museum Association
The Toppenish Washington railroad depot, built by the Northern Pacific Railway in 1911, served as the transportation center of the community until 1961. Today, this depot serves as the center point of a rich NP collection, including steam locomotives 1364 and 2152, a wide range of rolling stock and collectibles being preserved and restored by Museum members. Consider joining and helping with the Museum's impressive work.
Railroads of Grays Harbor, 1880-1900
A site dedicated to publishing the history of railroads of the Gray Harbor area of southwestern Washington State. The NP is featured in this history and Mike is an NPRHA member.
The Main Street of the Northwest on the World Wide Web
John Phillips III
An interesting compilation of NP information presented by the editor of the NPRHA's Mainstreeter Magazine drawn from a wide varienty of sources.
NP Caboose Web Site
Kenneth G. Johnsen
A site supporting the efforts of people restoring and maintaining NP cabooses throughout the US.
History of the NP Prairie Line
The South Thurston County area of Washington State had the privilege of being located on the original NP mainline between Seattle and Portland. The segment ran from Tacoma, Washington to Tenino, Washington, was known in timetables as the "Prairie Line" and was the Fourth Sub-division of the Tacoma Division.
Northern Pacific Railway Magazine Advertisements
This site has pages devoted to magazine advertisements produced by the Northern Pacific Railway. All advertisements displayed here are scans of originals from my private collection. High quality reproductions are available on request for a minimal fee.
Washington State Railroads Historical Society Museum
J M Bowers, Curator
We are located in Pasco, Washington where the Columbia and Snake Rivers merge. The history of Pasco begins with the establishment of the Northern Pacific Railway settlement of Ainsworth in 1879. The WSRHS is dedicated to preserving the history of "All" the railroads that helped build the State of Washington -- From the Northern Pacific, Great Northern, Milwaukee Road, to the Union Pacific, SP&S Railway and all the railroads in between.
End of an Era: The South Bend Flyer
Pacific County Historical Society and Museum
An article by Al McCready and photo essay by Allan deLay of the last NP passenger train to run on the Willapa Harbor branch of the Tacoma Division in March 21, 1954. The train No.596-591ran between Centralia and South Bend, Washington, and was scheduled as a daily except Sunday with a mixed consist.
The Northern Pacific Railway's Wonderland
In 1883, the Northern Pacific Railway began rail service to Yellowstone, providing luxurious hotels for the America's first generation of wilderness tourists. By 1885, NPRR had began an advertising campaign which presented the varied natural wonders of Yellowstone as "Wonderland."
Lewis County Historical Museum
Jesse Clark McAbee
The Lewis County Historical Museum is housed in the historic, 1912 the century, Northern Pacific Railway Depot. Operated by the Lewis County Historical Society, it is dedicated to preserving the history and heritage of Lewis County, Washington.
Lake Superior Railroad Museum
Lake Superior Railroad Museum
The museum is housed in the NP depot in Duluth, Minnesota, and displays a number of NP items.
Camas Prairie Rail Web Site
This site has many photos of NP-related equipment used on the Camas Prairie Railroad, an operation jointly owned by the NP and UP until is was spun off as a short line.
The Story Line Express
Publisher of railroad books for children about growing up with a love of trains. Jeannine has written stories about her father, famous NP photograph Ron Nixon, and his growing up as the son of an NP station agent in Montana. Her books are appropriate for children of all ages.
North Dakota Cities and Towns
North Dakota State University at Fargo, North Dakota
An alphabetical listing of the Institute photograph files organized by North Dakota city or town. The series represents individual items acquired by the Institute or very small collections associated with a particular town. Institute for Regional Studies and University Archives.
Significant Extant Railroad Structures of North America
Railroad Station Historical Society, Inc.
This site encourages the preservation and growth of historical knowledge of railroad stations and other railroad structures worldwide.
Cass Gilbert NP Depots - North Yakima
Cass Gilbert Society
The North Yakima Depot carries to an extreme the notion of using the center portion of the building as a decorative element. The half-timbered design differs from the Little Falls Depot in that it seems to be German- or central European-inspired (the English did not build wood towers). The large chimney is for a fireplace in the waiting room, a common feature in depots of the era. The chimney does not reflect the Germanic influence of the depot's otherwise unified design. The depot was enlarged within a few years of its construction and was later replaced.